We are looking for a Centre Manager at Tara Rokpa Centre. TRC is a peaceful retreat centre, situated on 280 hectares of land. TRC hosts a variety of retreats and events throughout the year, and can sleep up to 60 participants, on three sites. Although our roots are Buddhist, the centre is multi-purpose and offers opportunities for spiritual, emotional, social and environmental healing. TRC is run by on-site and off-site volunteers, as well as full-time staff members, with the support of a Management Committee.
The TRC Centre Manager will report to the Management Committee.
- Supervising all staff and volunteers, including catering, maintenance, housekeeping and caretaking staff on the main and corner properties.
- Health and Safety.
- Management of retreats, including catering, shopping, housekeeping and maintenance.
- Supporting catering staff to plan daily meals for volunteers and retreat participants and occasional cooking.
- Attending to casual or drop-in day visitors, or those requiring casual accommodation.
- Attending to on-going property and vehicle maintenance, including forest floor filter.
- Main and corner site gardens, composting and vegetable gardens, and car park.
- Co-ordinating wider site maintenance of roads, paths, fire breaks,
Work hours: 10 hours a day during retreat periods (weekends and month-long) and 4 hours a day during quiet times. The Centre usually closes for 4-6 weeks during winter (June and July).
Successful applicants will likely be skilled in the following areas:
- A mature individual, or a couple, particularly Buddhist dharma practitioners.
- Someone comfortable with a quiet lifestyle in the bushveld.
- Management experience.
- Knowledgeable about vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free catering.
- Have basic admin and bookkeeping skills.
- Have basic HR management skills, including staff and volunteer contracts.
- Computer literate.
- Have a valid driver’s licence.
- Basic site and building maintenance ability.
- Gardening and environment.
In return TRC offers:
- A stipend of R6000 per month.
- Accommodation, including gas and electricity, valued at R8000 per month.
- Meals and beverages, valued at R2500 per month.
- 21 days paid annual leave (timing negotiated with the on-site team).
- A lifestyle that offers meditative space, access to a wide variety of retreats and events, particularly focused on healing and dharma.
- Access to a library of books by spiritual teachers, particularly Buddhist teachers.
- Other conditions of service will comply with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act.
Applications with current Curriculum Vitae, including three contactable and current references, to be submitted to the Management Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do include a cover letter, referencing your abilities for the above requirements.