The Tikologo Permaculture Site is located within the grounds of the Tara Rokpa Centre. This is a peaceful retreat centre in the Groot Marico District, situated on 280 hectares of land. Although our roots are Buddhist, the centre is multi-purpose and offers opportunities for spiritual, emotional, social and environmental healing. Tara Rokpa Centre was founded by the late Akong Rinpoche and has four wings namely: Dharma, Environment, Healing and Humanitarian Aid/Community Support.
Tikologo is situated at the training centre as envisaged by Rinpoche, and is the Environmental and Community Support wing of the Centre which offers training and education in agro-ecology, permaculture, building skills and handicrafts. Tikologo has made great strides in becoming an excellent permaculture model. The well established demonstration site is earmarked for training and Rokpa International have indicated that they will fund the development of a Holistic Management 5 year plan with all relevant stakeholders giving the new steward clear goals into the future.
Tara Rokpa Centre (Dharma and healing) and Tikologo (Environment and Training) are advised by the Management Committee. Tikologo is answerable to the Environment and Training portfolio holder.
General Roles Required for the Tikologo Project
The Steward must fulfil the roles themselves, or manage the people who fulfil these tasks.
Over-arching skill: : Holistic Management
Management of Permaculture Demonstration Site
- zone 1 garden
- animal husbandry (chickens, geese, fish, seasonal cattle, worms)
- food forest
- herb garden
Skills: Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, construction,
- land maintenance (fire breaks, driveway, fences)
- farming equipment operation and maintenance (tractor, chainsaw, firefighting equipment)
- building maintenance
- utility and service infrastructure maintenance (borehole pumps, water supply, sewage)
- Community engagement
- In conjunction with community members establish their needs (e.g. ferro-cement tanks, food-gardens)
- Source service providers
- Present training modules
Skills: AutoCAD, Photoshop, Sketchup, Corel Draw
- Permaculture design and new system development
- Produce fresh vegetable and herb produce for TRC main site
- Environmental preservation
- Healing herb production
- Income generation and product development
- Effective Microorganisms production
- Accommodation (AirBnb)
- Marketable fresh produce
Skills: Quickbooks, Office
- Basic bookkeeping, accounts and management of petty cash
- Salary and account payments
- Proposal writing, reporting and fundraising
- Social media
- Office management
- Inter-centre agreements
Staff, trainee, trainer and volunteer management
- Staff, trainee, trainer and volunteer recruitment
- task scheduling and management
- Training may have to be specifically designed if there are no SA standards.
Required: valid drivers license and computer literacy. Financial, people and land management, administrative, proposal writing and reporting skills.
Green-fingers and willingness to apply Holistic Management.
Interests in: Holistic Context, skill sharing, people development, agro-ecology, and further implementation of permaculture design.
Start date: negotiable – Immediate to latest 2nd December 2019.
- A stipend of R4400 per month.
- Accommodation, including water, gas and electricity, valued at R6000 per month.
- Meals and beverages, valued at R2500 per month.
- The remuneration is based on donor funding, and may increase or decrease accordingly.
- The steward is responsible for securing the funding, with the support of the Management Committee.
- Accommodation and subsistence: single accommodation with possibility of a small home. On weekdays vegetarian meal is provided at the main site (or basics provided for self-catering) to supplement what is grown.
Successful applicants will likely be:
- A mature individual, or a couple, particularly permaculture practitioners with a passion for people development.
- Someone comfortable with hard (physical) work and a quiet lifestyle in the bushveld.
In return TRC offers:
21 days paid annual leave (timing negotiated with the on-site team.)
A lifestyle that offers meditative space, access to wide variety of retreats and events, particularly focused on healing and dharma.
Access to a library of books by spiritual teachers.
Other conditions of service will comply with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (No. 75 of 1997) as amended by the Basic Conditions of Employment Amendment Act, 2002.
Please submit applications with a cover letter based on the range of tasks noted above, with current Curriculum Vitae and three contactable and current references, and indicate when you would be able to start.
Submit to Management Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline : 7th September 2019
Short-listed candidates contacted : 13th and 14th September 2019
Candidate interviews at TRC on Tikologo site : 21st and 22nd September 2019.
Please note that the Management Committee will only contact qualifying applicants.