Tara Rokpa Centre is a peaceful retreat centre, situated on 280 hectares of land. TRC hosts a variety of retreats and events throughout the year, and can sleep up to 60 participants, on three sites. Although our roots are Buddhist, the centre is multi-purpose and offers opportunities for spiritual, emotional, social and environmental healing. TRC is run by on-site and off-site volunteers, as well as full-time staff members, with the support of a Management Committee. The Grounds and Maintenance Manager will report to the Management Committee.
- Supervision of full-time staff (5), part-time staff (1) and casual labour, as needed.
- On-going responsibility for the grounds, including food and flower gardens, firebreaks, roads, bridges and grazing contracts with neighbouring farmers.
- Vehicle maintenance, licensing and toll permits.
- Machinery maintenance, including lawnmowers and tools.
- Responsibility for all farmhouses (12) on three sites, and campsite, including plumbing, electrics, woodwork, locks etc.
- On-going maintenance of water pump, descaler, sewerage and electricity infrastructure.
- Replacement and maintenance of roofs and gutters.
- Recommendations and report back to the Management Committee, regarding priorities for expenditure.
Work hours: Normal working hours 8 am to 5 pm, five days a week (35 hours) On-call during retreats, with time off in lieu.
Successful applicants will likely be:
- A mature individual, with farm work or grounds and maintenance experience.
- Someone comfortable with a quiet lifestyle in the bushveld.
- In return TRC offers:
- A stipend of R6000 per month
- Accommodation, including gas and electricity, valued at R8000 per month
- Meals and beverages, valued at R2500 per month
- 21 days paid annual leave (timing negotiated with the on-site team)
- A lifestyle that offers meditative space, access to a wide variety of retreats and events, particularly focused on healing and dharma.
- Access to a library of books by spiritual teachers, particularly Buddhist.
- Other conditions of service will comply with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act.
Applications with current Curriculum Vitae and cover letter, including three contactable and current references, to be submitted to the Management Committee at: email@example.com
Deadline: 28th February 2020, with interviews to take place in March.