Mindfulness and Embodying the Breath
October 6 @ 6:00 pm - October 8 @ 1:00 pm
Weekend Mindfulness Retreat in Nature
with Nan Lutz, qualified Mindfulness Africa facilitator
With a relaxed programme, this family-friendly retreat will allow you time to recover, to breathe, and be… And ready to take on life’s many challenges.
It only takes a reminder to breathe,
a moment to be still,
and just like that,
something in me settles, softens,
makes space for imperfection.
The harsh voice of judgment drops to a whisper
and I remember again that life isn’t a relay race;
that we will all cross the finish line;
that waking up to life is what we were born for.
As many times as I forget,
catch myself charging forward without even knowing where I’m going,
that many times I can make the choice to stop, to breathe, and be,
and walk slowly into the mystery.
– Danna Faulds
In the morning, in the optional mindfulness sessions, Nan will guide you to connect with your breath through guided mindfulness meditation and mindful movement and relaxation practices – to create breathing spaces in your life, as an antidote to stress. And you’ll learn the science behind it all.
You’ll learn to ground yourself through breath, creating this sense of being rooted and embodied and the tree planting ceremony and introduction to permaculture will continue to explore the miracle of breath. All this allows tensions in body and mind to untangle themselves and your heart to respond tenderly to whatever comes to mind. It allows you to interrupt habitual patterns and behaviours and unlock the defensive patterns of the body. Being in this beautiful natural environment makes it easier to learn to be mindful and pause, so that we can open to the possibility of new and creative ways of responding to our life, and to our wants and fears. It gives us time to breath – and choice in how we respond to life.
Afternoons will be spent relaxing, sleeping or walking to and swimming in the waterfall. Evenings will be spent around the camp fire, star-gaxing, marshmallows and perhaps reading the traditional Bosman stories from the area.
Mindfulness facilitation R1,000 plus accommodation of your choice. Weekend accommodation cost includes 2 nights accommodation, snacks and refreshments plus Introduction to Permaculture talk and Tree Planting. Accommodation is in farmhouses with twin/double rooms and shared bathroom. There is also a dormitory/family room.
|Weekend accommodation per person for 2 nights|
|Twin/double en suite||R1 360|
|Twin/double shared bathroom||R1 160|
|Single shared bathroom||R1 510|
Environment levy is optional. Please deduct R60 pp from your payment if you would like to support the environmental projects (Tikologo).
Children under 10 years are eligible for half price accommodation, and less than 3 years are free.
This is a family-friendly weekend retreat (Friday evening 6pm to Sunday lunchtime) and partners and family are welcome to attend and pay for accommodation only.
50% deposit secures your place. This is non-refundable, but is transferable to another TRC retreat.
Please use our online booking form: https://goo.gl/forms/LGPPgRQ8tp2C5fmt1
Ovo-lacto vegetarian. Vegan/gluten free options available (please mention any food preferences when booking)
250km (about 3 hours) from Johannesburg, with 14km of gravel road. Please consider car pooling. If you are happy to offer a ride, please mention this when booking.
Optional daily activities include:
- Guided mindfulness, compassion and relaxation practices
- Mindful movement sessions, focussing on mindful breathing, stretching, walking, as well meditation posture instruction, tips and techniques
- Mindfulness Poems about breath, which you may wish to use as inspiration to jump-start your daily journaling. So bring your favourite notebook and pen (or buy in TRC shop)
- Camp fire and braai on Saturday night, with marshmallows and Herman Charles Bosman stories around the fire
- Tree planting ceremony in food forest, exploring the miracle of breath
- Introduction to permaculture and TRC’s Environmental project, Tikologo
- Unlimited supply of TRC’s pristine water in a re-useable bottle, which will assist you in starting a new habit of drinking sufficient water daily. (TRC’s water comes from the pristine Marico River, which is one of the last remaining clean water rivers in the country)
- Mindful nature walks
- Guided walk to the waterfall
- Self guided mountain bike trails for beginners, on gravel roads
- Self-guided hiking trails
- Swimming at the waterfall or farm pool
- Star gazing
- or just relaxing on the day bed on the stoep
- Vegetarian food and fresh salads from the permaculture garden
As the owner of Shenang Wellness (www.shenang.co.za) Nan left the Corporate world after 20 years and is now Mindfulness Africa qualified facilitator. She has been working with and practicing meditation under guidance of Rob Nairn (Founder of Mindfulness Africa www.MindfulnessAfrica.org & Mindfulness Association UK) for past 20 years, and as part of her training attends 30-day silent meditation retreats annually.
Nan offers Mindfulness, Compassion, Insight weekends, retreats, workshops, talks and courses, for groups and corporate clients, as well as private consultations for individuals.
She lived in India, Nepal and Tibet for three years, was an honourary game ranger for North West Parks Board for 10 years and now volunteers her time as a Trustee of Tara Rokpa Centre (www.TaraRokpaCentre.co.za a beautiful retreat centre near Groot Marico, NW Province.)
Nan’s practice is based in Parkhurst, Johannesburg and she enjoys rowing, walking her dogs and sharing her mindfulness experience with others.
Mindfulness | Massage | Wellness